Like any 'creation project' the tactility of it is important for me; I find myself picking some slightly novel approach to note taking each time to keep things interesting and to make the projects distinct.
Previous examples:
* For the Spelljammer Academy run, it started as a print of the four official adventures held with treasury tags then various odds and ends of loose paper were added to the back, including some experiments with gate-fold-type planetary system overlays. It was messy but a characterful mess.
* My home campaign is a double stack - world notes plus session notes - all done on the backs of scrap paper and old bills.
* My Friday night hexcrawl campaign is a similar double stack plus a GM binder of plastic-pocket ready reference stuff for gaming-on-the-move; one-page monster manual, code of conduct, treasure tables, etc.
For this City26 campaign I actually got started while flying - so I had some boarding passes to hand and started with those. I have a big stack of old boarding passes that were kept with a half-notion of needing bookmarks, now they can finally be used and it makes this project feel distinct.
A personal quirk, working on the small surface of the back of a boarding pass makes the demand feel less onerous; even if the output demanded is broadly alike, I only have to fill a boarding pass so feels less. I also habitually like to write very small which helps.
This also makes the project feel nicely tactile; as observed by many others elsewhere, it can be easier to get stuff done working physically than typing it up.
After a few weeks of working on this I am broadly following a refinement of my NaNoWriMo process:
- following Fleming - set yourself up to start the next session hot by stopping halfway through a paragraph
- this translates to 'create the template for the next session' by blocking out the next boarding pass
- all good ideas get noted onto the master sheets
- starting a session means blocking out the obvious stuff first, principal features, maybe controlling faction
- with that start done, block out some encounters, maybe plot hooks as they become obvious
- flesh out everything more, only a boarding pass of space to be terse
- NPCs are last; they usually are obvious by then - who is evidently around from the encounters, factions and plot hooks
- do not attempt to roll straight into a second session; take a break first
After a break you may do a second whole session on the same structure. Make your restart as low friction as possible, but do not pre-pick it; leave yourself room to be inspired anew.
My other aides I use;
* Some powerpoint image creation to help understand the shape, block-out how many districts in each part of the hive.
* Voice-transcription to ramble away about ideas while doing laundry.
* Reading through the old Rogue Trader book and noting ideas; trying to stay away from the modern stuff and that 'orthodox 40k' approach.
I am waiting for inspiration to slow and then I will sift back over those ideas and tease out the ones not yet used.

No comments:
Post a Comment