I have been hammering away at the City '26 challenge; running it faster and shallower than originally envisaged I would imagine. I have about ~37% of the wards done with ~16% of the year gone so am comfortably ahead of schedule. Concept is "a hiveworld from 40k as seen in the original Rogue Trader '87" including elements such as the Knight Worlds with their dinosaur herding, more abhumans, more Imperial Robots and a general stronger alignment to the aesthetic in Rogue Trader '87.
I find I have chipped away at lots of the more fascinating wards and blown off much of the initial spurt of inspiration but that has laid down lots of solid foundations and crystallised the core character of the place. 52 wards is *a lot* for a city; with just the ones done so far there is ample good gameable content. I am quite satisfied with the choice to make it a 40k hivecity because it is turning into a suitably complex behemoth.
As I have been filling out the various places I have ended up with one place where there is scarcity - ground level exterior access. Quite a few of the various wards should sensibly have external access - waste dumps, promethium vat fields, stock yards, maglev access, etc. Blocking those in has rapidly created a picture of the surroundings in a neat emergent manner.
We end up with the city surrounded by a number of military grounds - marshalling yards for the planetary guard regiments and the training fields for the Knight-candidates with their cyborged-carnotaurs. Stockyards for dinosaurs and bone heaps from their processing also need room. It became apparent that the hivecity was once a port but that the seas have long receded necessitating a 'ship-rail' to haul ships in over the saltmires.
One thing this has made me realise is that this means certain regions should have 'associated with' adventure hooks out in the linked spaces beyond the hive - be that a trip down into the dinosaur pens, riding out with the coldone cavalry on a wasteland patrol, stopping a raid on a ship being hauled up on the ship-rail, intercepting smugglers coming in on the maglev or some other thematically appropriate out-of-hive escapade. These could be very different to the 'in ward' encounters which may be dominated by just the groups that have presence there.
This realisation hit particularly as I pondered the House Guards ward where the knight-house keeps its internal enforcers and marshalls its regiments and cavalry squadrons, all under the shadow of the local Adeptus Arbites fortress. One can assume that ward is pretty locked down with oppressive encounters with the authorities likely to be most of what happens leaving little room for adventure. The groups based in the that ward have to enforce order across most of a continent however so wasteland patrols, watch rotations within the hive, training missions and marshalling for off-world deployments are all things that could happen outside the hive itself.
Wards so far:
Upper Hive
Adeptus Munitorium - perpetually swamped in comparative weapons studies as factions scuffle to direct the worlds production
Upper Mid-Hive
Optical Masters - Admech Lens Crafters make high performance optics from abundant clay while agitating to make ever bigger laser ones
Medicae - where man, beast and beastman are patched together to longer serve the Emperor
Lower Mid-Hive
Promethium works
Weapons Manufactorums (Dispensated Materials)
Dino Servitorisation (Ad Mech)
Stoneworks & prefabrication manufactorums
Carnosaur refit (sacristans)
Ogryn quarter - dino-wranglers, source of dino-run labour & gangs from 'dead' wasteland ranches
Cold-one scout regiments - house guards, order enforcement, wasteland scouts, Adept. Arbites enclave
Railheads - top of the ship-rail bringing the dinosaur-ships from the southern continents
Ministorum - psy-talent screening and detention for the black ships
Dino stockyards - minotaur butcherguilds
Transhipment hub - focus of the intra-continental maglev lines bringing chunks of abandoned hives
Metal reclamation - hive-breaker yards recycling ruined cities from inland
Ministorum, local shrines - beastfolk seeking to prove their faith in the Emperor
Lower Hive
Bone reclamation, corpse processing, fleshbees
Sumpside hub - abhuman underground railroad, coldtraders
Ogryn tallow-works
Inspiration has started to come a bit harder so I need to remind myself that the initial list of wards I came up with is not carved in stone; I can easily to another run through of ideas and implications of the wards created so far and see whether some should be replaced. I have been recording various rambles of ideas that I think I may now go back and sift through so that the next 30% of wards are only the finest of ideas.
I find that the lack of an active campaign is also a mild hindrance and I may explore running just a one-shot or two within this place to give it more life in my head and to spark off new ideas of what ought to be in here.
No comments:
Post a Comment