03 March 2021

A roundup of space-faring fantasy

Following stumbling across this article on why Spelljammer is worth saving - adding the concept of 3D hexcrawling to the points mentioned in earlier posts on this blog I wanted to publish this list of fantasy space-faring resources / settings / systems to get them out there and be a thing I may add to over time.

First for Spelljammer itself - various online resources, edition updates and variants.

There is a magnificent "One page spelljammer rules" which boils original Spelljammer down to 1 (dense) page - well worth looking at for any edition.

Sessedrix 54 page 5e adaptation which also includes a excel combat calculator for encounters.

Alternative 5e update with "theatre of the mind space combat rules" as used in the Tales from the Glass Guarded World actual play podcast. Episode 101 is mostly a space battle using these rules if you want an example.

Updated Spacefarers guide which I have only skimmed to date but looks promising.

A 3e update to the rules that has a significantly more complex 3D space combat system.

Flagged as "the best 3e Spelljammer update" from the author of the original 'flying ship of D&D' “Voyage of the Princess Ark” series for Dragon magazine: the World of Calidar, a fantasy setting for use with any role playing game.

The web archive of 2e/3e stuff.

Then some other systems taking an approach at fantasy in space:

Spacejammer - a backgrounds driven variation for Troika! or any Fighting Fantasy based game.

The DCC based Crawljammer for the OSR contingent.

SpacemaGLOG - a Goblin Laws Of Gaming hack.

Stars Without Number is one I have seen others mention but I have not gotten into myself.

GUMSHOE system for Ashen Stars is another on my list to check out.

If you want more on the topic the Web DMs talk Spelljammer in 5e D&D in this video. Or on Nerdarchy they go into why introduce Spelljammer to 5e and also offer some DM tips for bringing Spelljammer to your table.

I can well imagine I have missed something that should be on this list and plan to add to it as more things come to my attention - do feel free to let me know if there is something you think should be on here.

2 comments:

  1. Coincidentally, I've just started finally working on something as a follow-up to that old article. I'll put it on my blog sooner rather than later - it'll be something like "The Bare Bones of a Spelljammer Campaign". I don't want to overwrite something til I have a table for it, but I think something starting on the Rock of Bral (at 1st/2nd Level) and heading up and out from there after a period of groundling and city adventure is the way I'm going to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear - looking forward to reading about that. I have seen the Rock of Bral used as a city-crawl elsewhere on the web and I think starting everyone off in space gets to the good stuff more quickly.

      Delete